Monday, September 24, 2012

The Blog Is Not Dead . . .

Since the last post about a week ago, I've spent almost all of my time outside of work and family responsibilities working on two new design ideas.  3D printing has taken a temporary back seat, but I did try to get back into the lathe printing this afternoon.

One other thing that has kept me from printing as much this week is the continued difficulty I'm having getting the blue PLA to adhere to the heated build plate.  I've tried varying the first layer height (adjusting the end stop), adjusting the extrusion and HBP temperatures, and this afternoon I decided to print the first layer extremely slow--I think the setting was a speed factor for the first layer of 0.05.  That's crawling.

This very slow speed seemed to be doing the trick, but when I came back down to check on the print a few of the parts had lifted and the extruder had a huge glob of blue PLA on it . . . so I'm still in the dark here.  When I get some time I will hit the forums and take a closer look at the issue, but for now I need to tackle these two new projects I have going and move them along.

What's great about it all is that the 3D printer will soon become key to the further development of the two projects, so it all comes together in the end.  I'm very frustrated with the blue PLA troubles, but I'm very excited to know that I can build prototypes and try out my ideas as soon as I finish the initial designs.  Awesome :)

D

No comments:

Post a Comment