Sunday, September 9, 2012

Printing A Lathe - Second Part

The second print completed while I was away this morning.  I noted in the last post that I was seeing separation between the perimeter traces and some holes where the material was not filling in what was supposed to be a solid layer.  Before I printed this second part of the lathe print, I changed the filament diameter from 3.05 mm to 2.90 mm, to try and force more material/thicker traces, and hopefully better infill.

Unfortunately, that wasn't what happened.


Here is a zoomed-in view of the part above, with the shadows highlighted to show the voids in the print.


This the top layer of the print.  Not looking so good.  I think it's time to take this issue over to the forums at http://forums.reprap.org/ and see what the experts say.

In the meantime, I'm continuing on with printing the parts to the lathe.  The print running right now is the largest I've ever attempted.  It is a collection of several pieces from the lathe, shown here in SketchUp:


This print has a quarter of a million lines in it, will take about 18 m of filament, and almost 8 hours to print.  I'm hoping it finishes early enough for me to start another print tonight.  After the print above the items in green here will be printed . . . still a long way to go.



D

No comments:

Post a Comment