Thursday, September 13, 2012

Printing A Lathe - 3-Jaw Chuck

The print of the 3-Jaw Chuck that I started last night around midnight completed this morning after I had to leave for work.  Everything looks like it came out great.  This print was a plate full of chuck pieces, as shown here:


Here are a couple of shots of the parts actually printing:



When I got home tonight I turned everything off and had to leave the printed pieces on the printer and come upstairs, but it looked like there were no major issues.  During the print I had a lot of air blowing across the print to keep the parts from warping, especially where they were positioned close to each other.  I did notice some strings on the parts.  I think this can be caused by too much cooling/too low material temp.

Also, below is a shot of the first layer of one of my prints.


I've been setting the Z-axis end stop low enough to cause the first layer to be squished against the glass.  This leads to a slight lip on the bottom surface of the print, but to me that is well worth it to make sure that the parts don't come off of the HBP before the print is complete.


The last thing to share tonight is two videos of this large plate of items being printed.  Please see below and on YouTube.


This second video is very similar to the first, but the camera angle is shallower and the camera is much closer to the print.


Just a reminder, these components are for the 3-Jaw Lathe Chuck by Sublime, hosted on GitHub at:    https://github.com/Intrinsically-Sublime/Longworth-chuck  With this successful print, I now have completed all of the 3-Jaw chuck pieces.  Time to print out the rest of the lathe, order the "vitamins", and assemble.

D


No comments:

Post a Comment