Monday, August 20, 2012

It's Alive!!!

Completed the last of the build on my MendelMax 1.5 today, and actually got it to squirt out plastic.  Here is a picture of the printer itself:



The pic below shows my first four attempts (in order from left to right) at the 0.5mm-thin-wall.stl calibration part:



Some info on the four attempts:

1.  Hotend was nowhere near the build platform surface (I was just trying to get it to move and make PLA come out :) )
2.  I think the extruder had not pushed the filament far enough into the hotend before the printing started, so the print was doomed from the start.  I was happy to see a square-like shape though.
3.  Better still, I think a little PLA was gooped up on the nozzle at the beginning, but not sure.
4.  Just another attempt with no major adjustments.

Here is a closeup of the fourth print above:



When I saw the bottom several layers on this one side I just smiled :)  Oooh, the possibilities!!!

It took me a month and a half of working nights and weekends to get to this point, but I am so excited to finally be making something.  I can't say enough about the amazing, dedicated, talented people who have made RepRap's a reality, and made 3D printing so accessible.  The printer hardware (Prusa, Mendel, MendelMax, etc.), electronics (RAMPS in my case), and software (using Slic3r with Pronterface, Marlin firmware) are just incredible.  I hope I can give back to the community as I keep learning and making!!

D

No comments:

Post a Comment