Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Printing A Lathe - Files and Information

I received a request for the Mini Lathe plate files.  I've copied them to my Google Drive and have posted the info and links below.  In fact, I think I should list once again where I got the designs from in the first place.

The Mini Lathe I'm printing is on Thingiverse.  The title of the design is Mini printable lathe V2 + Chuck - OpenSCAD version by Daid, and the link to the Thingiverse page is here:  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12472

The 3-Jaw Chuck I'm printing is from Sublime, and it is hosted on GitHub here:  https://github.com/Intrinsically-Sublime/Longworth-chuck

I downloaded the assemble.scad.stl file from the lathe page on Thingiverse and the Three_jaw_chuck.stl file from GitHub, and imported the solid bodies into SketchUp (deleting the chuck that came with the lathe_assembly_.stl and replacing it with the 3-jaw chuck from GitHub), and this is how the full assembly looks in SketchUp:

Lathe Assembly from Daid with 3-Jaw Chuck From Sublime

I then divided the parts up into plates that fit into a 18cm x 13cm build area (for several not so great reasons this was my maximum build area at the time).  It took three plates to cover the parts for the 3-Jaw chuck, and five plates for the lathe itself.  I did include extra copies of several of the gears and smaller parts where there was open space (if the printer is going to run overnight or during work, might as well have it make replacement parts).

The five lathe .stl plate files look like this:

Lathe Print Plate 1 of 5

Lathe Print Plate 2 of 5

Lathe Print Plate 3 of 5

Lathe Print Plate 4 of 5

Lathe Print Plate 5 of 5
 
The SketchUp and .stl files can be downloaded here:  https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BzlyGd7meNzeWmcyUVpOVENyUTA/edit

Two of the parts for the 3-jaw chuck did not print properly.  After looking at the .stl files in netfabb, it appears that there were some issues with some of the surfaces.  I am going back to reconstruct/fix those in SketchUp now.  Once I have those corrected, I will try to upload the plates I constructed to print the chuck as well.

After printing those last couple of parts it's on to assembly :)

D

No comments:

Post a Comment