Monday, January 14, 2013

CNC Router + 3D Printer Progress

First, a quick note to say that the green PLA is performing very well with basically the same settings I was using for the blue PLA.  Here is a shot of a few pieces I printed for a friend, stacked together (they are meant to form the top of a chess piece he's designing):

3 Small Pieces Printed Separately and Stacked Together

I am constructing a CNC machine that I also plan to use as a 3D printer.  Here's a screenshot from SketchUp showing the basic design:

SketchUp Screenshot of CNC Router + 3D Printer Design

The machine is designed to be a 18" x 22" x 6" CNC router, and 3D printing capability will be an add-on, since I already have a 3D printer (MendelMax 1.5).  However, I made a decision a few days ago to change the type of stepper motor driver that I would use for the CNC machine specifically so that it would work with RAMPS, so it looks more and more like I will carry through with giving the machine dual functionality.  

Linear Rails and Bearings (Boxed) for CNC + 3D Printer

Today I received the rails and bearings for the CNC machine, and I have purchased right at 60% of the components by price, so no turning back now!  I'm excited about another machine build after having gone through the MendelMax build.  This machine will require more work in some ways, but I do plan to leverage the 3D printer's capabilities to help with assembly (printing drill fixtures to help layout precise hole patterns, for example).

My target for completing the machine is the first of February.  May have to be adjusted . . . :)

D

   

No comments:

Post a Comment